Know what you want? Try our 'Supplier Directory' 
7 November 2011

HFCs represent 0.6% of greenhouse gas emissions

THE 2010 AGGI (Annual Greenhouse Gas Index) reveals that in 2010, despite a continuous growth, HFCs represented only 0.605% of the atmospheric level of greenhouse gases, as communicated by the US NOAA global observing networks. In 2009, their share was 0.58%, and in 2008, 0.55%.
The EFCTC has reported that the figure reveals the high share of radiative forcing results for the 'major gases', accounting for about 96% of the total, while the 15 'minor' halogenated gases contribute the remaining 4%. Major gases include CFC-11 and CFC-12 but exclude all other ODS.

Within the 4% 'minor' gases contribution, HFCs (including HFC-134a, HFC-152a, HFC-125, HFC-143a, and HFC-23) represented 0.605 per cent of all GHG emissions.

The radiative forcing of all GHG increased 29% from 1990 to 2010 (~0.63 W/m2), and CO2 has accounted for nearly 80% of this increase (~0.50 W/m2). It is thanks to the CFC and HCFC phase out that the global radiative forcing (ability of all greenhouse gases to trap heat) was not as much as 0.3 W/m2 higher in 2010, or more than half of the increase in radiative forcing due to CO2 alone since 1990.

CO2 dominates the total forcing with more than 63% of the total and its increase since 1990 was about 39%.

CO2 and nitrous oxide are the only major gases that continue to increase at a regular rate. Radiative forcing from CH4 increased from 2007 to 2010 after remaining nearly constant from 1999 to 2006. The decline in the CFCs has tempered the increase in the net radiative forcing considerably. The AGGI is updated annually using global air sample analyses.

The 2010 AGGI (Annual Greenhouse Gas Index) includes atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2 ), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2 O), CFCs 11 and 12, and 15 minor long-lived halogenated gases (CFC-113, CCl4, CH3CCl3, HCFCs 22, 141b and 142b, HFCs 134a, 152a, 23, 143a, and 125, SF6, and Halons 1211, 1301 and 2402).

Follow HVROnlineEditor on Twitter

World Refrigeration Day

Industry has embraced the inaugural World Refrigeration Day (WRD) with events happening all over the world....

ACR News

AET turns the world of AC on its head

When we think of air conditioning many of us would think of ducts and pipework that provides air from above. Turning this on its head, AET Flexible Space uses the few inches of space beneath a raised access floor for the distribution of air, ...


New Zanotti GM Wall Mounted Monoblock

AFR Refrigeration Ltd introduces the new GM range of through wall mounted monoblocks with refreshed modern appearance and upgraded touch style control panel keypad.
ACR News is the number one magazine in the air conditioning and refrigeration industry. Don’t miss out, subscribe today!
Subcribe to ACR News


Technical sales manager role

Thermofrost Cryo is a nationwide distributor of refrigeration and air conditioning equipment, with offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester. The company is seeking a technical sales manager to manage its range of industrial refrigeration and ...


GWP > 2,500 ban
Fujitsu "The Latest Technology" Rob Broughton Ultimate Air
IOR - The Latest Technology
Asercom annual general assembly
ASHRAE Winter Conference