A society of active refrigeration engineers with a history dating back half a century, the London Refrigeration Society (LRS) meets socially during the cooler months to discuss updates in technology, legislation and information on associated products.
The LRS was established in the 1960s after the demise of the Refrigeration Serviceman's Association. Now, as it did then, it aims to help engineers keep abreast of the latest developments in air conditioning and refrigeration.
The society grew steadily in the years after its formation, with members funding and organising the very first London Refrigeration Exhibition in 1969, held at the White City Dog Track. Just like the LRS, the success of this show grew too, and, in 1975, Wembley Arena was taken over as the new show area.
Affiliated with the Institute of Refrigeration, the LRS maintains a hands-on and pro-active approach to this day. Indeed, the LRS committee still arranges eight 'out of season' monthly meetings, inviting those with valuable skills and understanding of the latest developments in refrigeration, gases and oils, rules codes and practices, training, and health and safety regulations, to share their knowledge through discussion and open forum.
Currently based in South East London at The Greenwich Tavern, 1 King William Walk , Greenwich, SE10 9JH, the society meets on the second Thursday of the month from September to April from 7.30-9.30pm. The evenings are informal yet informative, attracting a high calibre of speakers.
All readers, technicians, trainees, and managers from within the industry are welcome, and the dates for 2018/19 are as follows:
- 13 September 2018 Chris Green Artic Circle - “storing waste heat under car-parks”
- 11 October 2018 John Bawden Testo - “smart solutions for Refrigeration and AC Engineers”
- 8 November 2018 Graeme Fox F-Gas - “the latest on Refrigerants”
- 5 December 2018 Joint Meeting with the IOR - “Historical talk at the Canal Museum”
- 10 January 2019 Richard Metcalfe ICS Cool Energy
- 14 February 2019 Nigel Manning Heronhill - “Cellar Cooling”
- 14 March 2019 TBC
- 11 April 2019 London Walk
Visit the LRS website at www.londonrefrigeration.org